The Frederick Banting Foundation welcomes support from other like minded donors. We operate in the spirit of Dr. Frederick Banting who discovered insulin in four years with little funding.
The Frederick Banting Foundation seeks to make transformative investments where our capital can generate significant scientific project towards improving the lives of those suffering with Type 1 Diabetes and eventually towards a cure. All research projects are personally selected by those suffering with or caring for those with Type 1 Diabetes. The Foundation frequently partners with leading sponsors of research such as the National Institute of Health, JDRF and the University of Virginia.
We seek to be good stewards of our causes. The Board contributes generously to the Frederick Banting Foundation. We also keep Foundation operating costs to an absolute minimum and as a result there is virtually no overhead. This group was established in 2011 by Richmonders Fred and Susan Russell, whose son, William, is living with Type 1 Diabetes.
To discuss a donation call Fred Russell at 804-648-4802 or email him at Fred@BantingFoundation.com.
The Frederick Banting Foundation’s “investment” strategy is:
- to provide funds over several years as a source of more permanent capital,
- to support projects that might not otherwise get funded especially for projects offering a compelling risk/reward balance,
- to avoid supporting institutional overhead,
- to have ongoing access to project leaders,
- to receive reports outlining performance to expectations,
- to involve other like-minded donors, and
- to obtain confirmatory due diligence in advance of funding.
Utilizing our venture capital experience, the Foundation hopes to select promising research projects where the Frederick Banting Foundation’s funds can accelerate unrecognized or under-appreciated technologies where we believe our funding can be a catalyst to stimulate rapid development or adoption.
Article Reprint Courtesy of The Frederick Banting Foundation